The construction of the Centre of Subterranean Heritage ‘Speleon’ is a part of a project called “Promoting the sustainable development of the Significant Landscape of Barać Caves” implemented by our Public Institution for the Management of Protected Natural Values in the Municipality of Rakovica. The project was partly funded by a grant from the EU Cohesion Fund, within the Operative Programme under the 2014–2020 ‘Competitiveness and Cohesion’ operational programme, priority axis 6 ‘Preserving and protecting the environment and promoting resource efficiency’, specific objective 6c2 ‘Increasing the appeal, educational capacity and sustainable management of natural heritage destinations’.
The total project value is HRK 19,908,960.00 + VAT, 85% of which is funded from the EU Cohesion Fund (HRK 16,922,616.00), whereas the remaining 15% is secured by the Public Institution of the Plitvice Lakes National Park as a project partner.
‘Promoting the sustainable development of the Significant Landscape of Barać Caves’
Brief description of the project
The project ‘Promoting the sustainable development of the Significant Landscape of Barać Caves’ under the 2014–2020 ‘Competitiveness and Cohesion’ operational programme aims to establish a visitor centre where visitors will be able to learn about the natural and cultural values of the Significant Landscape of Barać Caves, which will encourage a more comprehensive development of the Rakovica area and add new value to the site of Barać Caves. The project funds will be used for activities including the construction of the visitor centre, its indoor and outdoor equipment, preparation of an Action plan for visitor management, carrying out a study aimed at developing joint programmes for the visitors of Barać Caves and the Plitivice Lakes National Park, as well as for funding educational and interpretational content and promoting the institution’s visibility.
Improving the infrastructure for visitors
Providing a unique, innovative, and captivating presentation of the cultural and natural values of the Barać Caves area to all visitors, including those with special needs
Building contemporary infrastructure suitable for holding various educational and recreational activities, thus creating added values
Using contemporary technology in order to create an experience and offer an interpretation of the natural and cultural heritage
Encouraging an interest in culture and the nature among the local population and visitors
Developing awareness of the need to preserve the natural world and the importance of sustainable interaction between people and nature
Introduction to the project
The visitors of the Centre of Subterranean Heritage ‘Speleon’ will have the opportunity to learn about the site’s natural characteristics. One of the project’s main objectives is to build awareness of the need to preserve the natural world and the importance of sustainable interaction between people and nature.
The website design was partly funded from the EU Competitiveness and Cohesion Fund. The website content is the exclusive responsibility of the Public Institution of Barać Caves.